Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bye Bye Sakura

Buh-bye giant pink balls of aesthetically pleasing fluff, it was fun while it lasted! 





The first and last two pictures are of my new favourite temple, a strangely Mediterranean/Picasso-esque/Modernist little structure, hidden in the byways of Azabu. The temple itself is covered in a colourful mosaic, offset by the stark whitness of the walls and the pebbled path leading up to it. In the sunlight the general effect is of an almost blinding purity, tempered by the large sakura tree which shelters the nearby graveyard.

Amazing how even in the busiest parts of this metropolis, you can find a small oasis of peace.

6 comments:

  1. I love the cherry blossom season, mostly because I love how everyone comes out to see them. It makes the park so pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherry blossoms and grave stones. I love that combination. There I was, frowning and muttering away in Yanaka Cemetery, trying to take close-ups of petals and granite, never succeeding to my own satisfaction.

    PS: The "small oasis of peace" is one of the main reasons why I enjoy walking through Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know the issue... my friends have resigned themselves to the fact that any vaguely interesting piece of food is going to have to wait to be eaten until I have a good pic of it :p

      Delete
  3. Really lovely photos..! Did you do hanami around this area too?

    ReplyDelete