Monday, March 18, 2013

What do you eat?

My grandmother seems very concerned about what I eat in this far off, exotic country. In attempt to reassure her I brought a bunch of pics with me to Italy. Then I remembered that a few readers have also asked me about my diet/training, and so here it is! 
Not exactly exciting, but I make a real effort (during the week) to mainly eat food I have cooked (or simply assembled, as I eat a lot of veggies raw) myself. Stir fries, curries and brown rice are a staple lunch. I also eat tons of tofu burgers, avocados and pasta. Lots of dairy and fruit as well, to be super kind to my bones.

Weekends, however, are a different story entirely. All the fancy foods and restaurants I introduce here are products of gourmet weekends. If you eat healthily 80% of the time, you certainly get away with an occasional giant plate of eggs benedict and pancakes (or cake, pizza, fondue....).

And the benefits are incredible. Eating well and exercising properly make you feel content (it is proven that running regularly helps fight low-level depression). The desire for junk food diminishes. Without a terribly nasty workout schedule (2 runs per week, yoga once a week, weight training whenever I have 10 minutes free) or awful diets, I look pretty darn toned.

What are your tips for staying in shape? Always good to learn something new!

4 comments:

  1. I seriously recommend some kind of muscle training, squats, lunges or dumbells, it's really important to build muscle. I'm also a runner, and have discovered what happens when you don't cross train (shin splints are my constant companion these days, and, man, they hurt!). Your diet looks great, I need to get back to the 80/20 idea too, and load up on veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love/hate squats... great for perkiness in the rear

      Delete
  2. I did martial arts for a while and felt great afterwards. However, the place I like is really far from where I live now and I don't have a regular income, so I don't do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martial arts rock! I hope you find a way to start up again :)

      Delete