Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Romance is in the eye of the beholder

I am told that 'Japanese men just aren't romantic'... well, to tell the truth I have no idea, as my demographic samples are quite limited. Still, I think romance is very much in the eye of the beholder. Red roses are nice, but they can be bought. Those little things that don't involve a wallet are often far better.

Here are a few things I find incredibly thoughtful, and even romantic (in an odd, non-media conforming way):

1- 'The bed is yours'
When I'm sick, I mainly just want space, to huddle under covers and wait for my immune system to win its battle against the evil invading germs. Although I have never vocalized this, Matcha-kun will still decamp to our tatami room, and leave me the whole bed to myself, 'So you can sleep deeply and not worry about waking me up'. He provides me with medicine, food and water too, but this particular gesture is so very much appreciated.

2- Dish Washing
I hate washing dishes, getting my hands dirty and poked by cutlery. Eeew. But since moving in together, I can literally count the times I have had to wash dishes on one hand. Okay, so it drives me up the wall when he doesn't overturn the cups and bowls (the water can't run out, aaaah) but not having to do a hated chore is a real gift.

3- 'As you wish'
I am a bit...stubborn. Bossy? Assertive? A combination of the three? Topped with a strong desire to See All The Things, this makes me a bit difficult to travel or walk around a city with. And yet, no matter what weird thing it is I have decided to do (see the extremely difficult-to-find tomb of Ogino Ginko, look for vegan burgers in Shinjuku etc...) he comes along with a smile and a great deal of patience (did I mention that I also have no sense of direction?). This support means the world to me.

Does anyone else have these types of weird gestures they wish to share?

8 comments:

  1. Ah! My fiance is the same about the one chore I hate most, cleaning the bathroom. I will do all the things before I scrub that hellhole. Though, I would be more open to it if it wasn't so old and gross.

    This is probably not romantic at all, but he tells me politely if he doesn't like the way I've done something for him that way I can do it properly next time. Rather than get mad, I appreciate his honesty. I hate the idea of him biting his tongue at things that annoy him.

    Sometimes he gets really protective, which is cute cus I've been getting around Japan without him long enough to handle myself plus I'm four years older, but I appreciate the sentiment all the same.

    Anyways, thanks for sharing! It's the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Oritan! Bathroom scrubbing totally counts as a romantic gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, I wrote a similar post a few weeks ago! I don't really wash the dishes either, he always does it! And when I am all lazy on the sofa and I ask him to bring me something from the kitchen he actually does it... amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is a Asian dude thing! Also, same for the couch-lounging service... I should have probably also mentioned that he will pretty much carry me home after marathons^ ^

      Delete
  4. My Chinese-American guy made his mother's recipe for foo cha (bitter tea) when I was sick. The gesture was very sweet. The tea was not. Foo cha tastes so horrible you'd seriously rather stay sick than drink it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Autumn!

      Awww, that is sweet! Although the bitter tea does sound like it is best avoided(°_°)

      Delete
  5. My husband is very much the same. I wouldn't trade him for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this informative article, I hope you will get most positive response specially for this post. . . .
    โกเด้นสล็อต

    ReplyDelete